About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog- A place of food, cakes and bakes! Just a fun-loving student who loves to bake!

Thursday 23 August 2012

Strawberry Pavlova


Now if someone asked me what my favourite pudding was, it would be Strawberry Pavlova every time. It's perfectly summery and really tasty! Strawberries have always been one of my favourite fruit so I love nearly anything with them in and the crunchy meringue complements the softness of the cream and fruit. This was my first time at making meringue and was really happy at how it turned out. I'd always thought of meringue as a bit of challenge when people talk about "Stiff peaks" but now I love making it and am going to make a Lemon Meringue Pie for my Auntie at the weekend (post to follow!) And did you know that this pudding is originally from New Zealand- me neither! 




This recipe is from my Mum's trusty Delia Smith's Complete Cookery Course.

You will need:
3 Large Fresh Egg Whites
175g (6oz) Caster Sugar
275ml (half a pint) Whipping or Double Cream (I used a 300ml pot)
Strawberries (Or any other fruit you want to add)

Preheat the oven to 150oC/300oF/Gas Mark 2.  Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper and grease lightly with oil/butter/margarine. 

Place the egg whites in a clean bowl and whisk until soft peaks form. This will be when the mixture looks like it has little mountains in it. Start to whisk in the sugar, a little at a time until all the sugar is combined. By now the peaks will have become stiffer- when you tip the mixer upright, they should stand up. 

Spoon the meringue mixture onto the baking sheet forming a circle with a little dip in the middle. (This will be where the fruit sits) To make the meringue look decorative, you can take a skewer or fork and create swirls and peaks around the edge. 

Place the baking sheet in the oven and immediately turn it down to 140oC/275oF/Gas Mark 1 and leave to cook for an hour. After an hour turn the oven of but keep the meringue inside until the oven has completely cooled. This is to allow the meringue to completely dry out and can take from 2 hours. 

When the meringue is ready, gently peel it off the baking paper and put it onto the serving dish. In a bowl whip up the cream- personally I like it quite thick. Spread the cream onto the meringue and arrange the strawberries on top. Serve with a little icing sugar on top. 

Happy Baking! 
x

Please leave a comment below! 
Follow @nicsfeasts and @NicckkNackk


I am entering this into my first Blog Event- Simple and In Season by Ren at Fabulicious Food. 


I am also entering this into Calendar Cakes by Dolly Bakes and Laura Loves Cakes because it's the perfect summer pudding! 


And into Let's Cook With Fruits by Simply Food





P.S Earlier on in August I went to the Bristol Hot Air Balloon Fiesta with my friend Sarah. (She also appears in Pretty Pink Wedding Cake) We saw some amazing sights but we particularly like the Churchill one! 



       
                




3 comments:

  1. What a lovely high pavlova, you must have really given it a good beating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant...thanks for entering Calendar Cakes, this looks like the perfect summery pudding!! I love meringue and everyone lives strawberries...it looks delicious and I love Churchill too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy and lovely looking dish..can anything eat with strawberries :-)

    Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
    Super Foods~Super Power

    ReplyDelete