About Me

My photo
Welcome to my blog- A place of food, cakes and bakes! Just a fun-loving student who loves to bake!

Monday 2 July 2012

Spinach and Sweet Potato Bake

Although my Mum and I aren't vegetarians, and do enjoy a tasty roast chicken or pub burger, we occasionally have "Veggie Nights". It might just be because we don't fancy meat or have had enough of it. So I started looking for some tasty vegetarian recipes and found this one. It's quite a simple recipe but is full of flavours. I gave it a try and it was a thumbs up from both my mum and me! 

To Serve 4:
500ml Single Cream
1 Garlic Clove (optional) [I left this out and it was still tasty]
Thyme or Rosemary (I used fresh rosemary from the garden)
250g bag of Spinach (can be frozen)
Freshly grated Nutmeg
Butter, for greasing
850g Sweet Potatoes (2 large ones)
Cheddar Cheese
Salt and Pepper

Heat oven to 200oC/400oF/Gas Mark 6.

Put cream, garlic and herbs into a small saucepan and bring to just below boiling. Take off the heat and season with salt and pepper and leave to infuse.

If using frozen spinach, place the spinach into a colander and pour over boiling water. Leave to drain for a few minutes then squeeze out as much water as possible.

Peel and slice the potatoes into medium thickness. Generously grease an ovenproof dish with butter and spread half of the potato slices across the bottom. Top with a layer of spinach. At this point, season with salt, pepper and some nutmeg. Too much nutmeg will overpower the other flavours.

Pour the cream mixture through a sieve to remove the garlic and herbs. Pour approx. one third of the cream onto the spinach, then cover with the remaining potato slices. Pour on the rest of the cream and top with grated cheese. 

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown, tender and that the potatoes are soft. 

Happy Baking! 
x

Please leave a comment below! 
Follow @NicckkNackk




No comments:

Post a Comment